Saturday, March 1, 2008

Whatta week

Superficial updates:
- I have seen two newspaper recycling receptacles at T stops (Downtown Crossing and Haymarket). Woohoo. woohoo. My personal recycling bin was stolen and hasn't been returned. Those dirty rotten.....
- I have recently watched Michael Clayton and In Bruges and read Plainsong. Interesting....very very interesting. Michael Clayton was a suspenseful tale of corrupt greed and redemption. In Bruges was a slightly anti-American, racist, dry humor shoot em up. I never thought Colin Farrell was a good actor - now I can be convinced otherwise. And Plainsong was simple, slow, and quiet. I don't read a lot of fiction and this happened by accident . The writing was sparse and straight forward. It was subtle (I'm a big fan of alliteration). Worth reading but I can't say there were any big take aways.
- There is a new raw vegan restaurant in the North End of Boston - Grezzo. Whawhawhat???? Suprise suprise. It was a small space with an intensely personal atmosphere. It was pricey and hit or miss mostly because I am NO fan of raw food. BUT the gnocchi and dessert was GOOD and filled me for the evening. I really felt very energized afterward. But I refuse to go raw. You can't cook anything above 112 degrees. That is ridiculous (said the vegan who won't shop at Walmart, buy Nike, and strives to buy fair trade, organic, and local). We have to be reasonable - I mean....what about peanut butter cookies and pumpkin muffins? I need an oven! teehee.

More profound -
- My amazing coworker lost her father to cancer this past Monday. One of my former coworkers, a beautiful, kind, spirited 31 yr old new mother is losing her life to cancer. Death is incredibly sad and wrenching. And I have faith in something beyond this tragic moment. I can't imagine otherwise.
- I've been praying. Not down on my knees wailing and gnashing of teeth kind of stuff but a silent thread that permeates my day. On the bus I'll offer the "her" (see above) up in love for healing and peace. As I brush my teeth I'll be reminded to pray for those in Darfur, Iraq and Afghanistan who are experiencing devastating loss and violence. As I lie in bed I'll pray for those with addictions - to smoking, gambling, drinking, drugs, etc. I pray that God fills them with the love and courage to feel fullfilled on their own merits. It's been a blessing to be reinvigorated to turn to God.
- I've moved beyond the quiet desperation of wanting to get married and be with someone (most of you know who). Whether that happened or not I was comfortable. And safe. Now I am questioning what I want, where I'll be, and who God has chosen for me. Well....I guess it's not too late to be a nun...I think I'd be quite a looker in a habit.

No comments: