Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ode to maracujá

Maracujá is passion fruit - but I have never seen passion fruit in the states like in Brasil. (I have to be careful with spelling and pronunciation because just one vowel separates this fruit from a swearword). It is actually incredibly ugly - inside and out. It smells wonderful but tastes somewhat bitter and unpleasant. I love it as juice - with loads of sugar.
Here is the way "we" make it (Tia Sô and me): scoop out seeds and pulp, place in blender with 8 oz. of water, blend. Strain mixture to remove grainy black seeds. Place remaining liquid, a few ice cubes, and sugar to taste back into the blender. Whirl away. Drink. Hmmmm....yummy. Unfortunately, Tia Sô´s maid doesn´t make it that way. They way she makes it is kinda gross and I don´t ask her to make it, she just does it because she knows I like it. So what can I do? I drink one glass in front of her and dump a little (or a lot depending on how bad). I made the juice to the right.

Speaking of food - I am sure I am eating non vegan foods. Why? Because for every 10 foods I refuse, I accept 1. For example, the students at Gotas love these candies called Freegells - which I am sure has gelatin. I think they are gross but I often am given some various flavor. Like I said, after about 10 refusals I am usually worn and will accept one. Usually I don´t have to eat it, I can give it away, but sometimes the ´giver´will sit there and watch me. It is really hard to refuse food being offered as a token of friendship and affection. Or food being offered as a cultural exchange. Rose - the librarian- offers me a variety of foods daily. I take my own lunch to Gotas - even though they provide food for the children and staff - which everyone finds very odd. Rose, to whom I explained I am vegan, sums it up by saying I don´t like Brasilian food. (that is NOT it). Rose will always offer me something, usually a dessert, and say "it doesn´t have meat". In my head I think - "the list of what I choose not to eat is a lot longer then that". But for the most part, as long as I don´t eat out, and pre-empt offers by taking a juice or some rice in lieu of non vegan food, I am able to maintain my nutritional lifestyle.

Speaking of Rose - she told me today she is going on the trip on Friday. Great! I´ve already refused and made other plans. Well, at least my loyality is established. And I guees I don´t regret it too much - a day long (8:30am to 6pm) trip with a bunch of (great but WILD) kids repeating what I say because they are deeply amused by my accent, with a small petting zoo or something odd on a mini fazenda isn´t exactly the day tirp of my dreams. Though I am sure it will be fun. Next time, next time....

Mail - I saw a postal delivery truck today, I think that is very promising. Additionally, I went to the post office and it was open so I mailed a card today. I can imagine letters zigzaging the Atlantic as we speak.

No comments: