Friday, September 21, 2007

Portuguese: I´m happy to report that I will be starting Portuguese lessons at EIGHT am on Thursday. My teacher is 90 years old and has enormous St. Bernand that hates me. I had my doubts, and I was hoping to join a school since I met such cool people the last time I was here and did that (Diana, Patricia, Cordy, Charley). But three hours later - walking home from my fantastic stretch class - I found myself repeating what she had taught me in the 5 minute introduction I´d had to her alphabetization method. That convinced me to give it a try. And really, the more time I spend with those 80 and over the better!



Love: I´m feeling really good. My exboyfriend seems less interested then ever - which probably means he is interested in someone else, so that isn´t why I feel good. (it does make the conflict over whether I will get back with him upon my return kind of a mute point) No, I feel good because I had a momumental revelation. I was watching a film this morning about a 53 year old woman looking for love. I wanted to call my exboyfriend right away. Partly because I love him and miss him, but mostly because I´m frightened of the prospect of being alone in 25 years. And that is when I realized that I am scared of being alone - not right now - but in the future and that is a cause of a lot of angst. I don´t know if my exboyfriend is the one - I think we have the ability to make any variety of people a soul mate. For example, this morning at the boomobile I developed a minicrush on the storyteller who donates his Saturday´s mornings to entertaining the kids. I don´t know if he is married, gay, or a cannibal (and I´ll never know because I don´t know how to ask)- but he was super cute and so funny and great with the kids. And I had a thought - when I get to Boston I am going to continue this type of work, I´m sure I´ll meet someone with the same values and I´ll be attracted (and I promise to flirt). I mean - before I left DC I met someone who piqued my interest - so it helps me not feel so bummed about my ex (who I dumped) moving on. Because whether he was the "one" not and even more important then finding a boyfriend or a husband, I don´t want to live in fear of being alone. I just want to live - for right here , right now. Maybe I will be alone in 25 years or maybe I´ll pass away tomorrow. All I can do is live for today. I didn´t read Bryon Katie three times, do the Landmark Forum, and watch the Peaceful Warrior twice for nothing! It does feel like everyone in my life is in love and getting married, or married and having kids. Which is great. I can´t wait to support friends, that I love like family, in these big life altering events. A big part of me wishes I had that too - but right now I don´t and that is what allows me to spend 4 months here. So for the rest of my time here instead of worrying about love - I am going to focus on living without fear of the future. Wish me luck (or pray for me if you do that) and remind me when I forget....teehee.



Food: I am so lucky - despite repeated offers to eat food that isn´t vegan (Freegells don´t have gelatin!) - my family is SUPER supportive of how I eat. Tia Lecy took my grandmother and I to Moinho de Pedra, the vegetarian restaurant I´ve been to three times now (of the four times I have eaten out). Tia Sô (who I live with) went shopping crazy at a all natural grocery store near her therapist. She must have spent 100 dollars on foods that definitely don´t have eggs or milk. Have I mentioned how much I love my family!?!


Television: Soap operas here are high class entertainment. Tia Sô is redecorating her apartment. When the interior decorator came over (an hour late - another Brasilian trait) at 9pm they sat down and watched Paraiso Tropical (this is the last week) and didn´t discuss the remodel until the soap opera was over. Soap operas are primetime television. They don´t last years, usually less then one year, and I love them. Paraiso Tropical is insanely interesting right now because tons is happening. One woman has left her husband twice this past week - the first time I don´t understand why, but the second time was because she thinks he got some other woman pregnant! What makes a soap opera different here? It´s nighttime slot, the great acting (including two actors from Primo Basilio - a pretty popular movie in theatres right now), and it´s short run gives watching it a greater sense of urgency. My favorite shows to watch on TV are soap operas or movies (like the 40 year old Virgin) dubbed in Portuguese. Hilarious!

Mail: STILL NO MAIL!!! Apparently the workers that are striking are those that deliver the mail. GREAT! But I have been mailing letters out, hope you are getting them! Even better, my Tia Sô just bought me the most beautiful postcards. They are delicious. I only have 5 but I plan on getting more.

P.S. - I know I should be a librarian because when I go to the gym I can´t help but put the weights in the right order.

No comments: