Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Black bean patties

When I first started this blog back in May it was for work, really. I created it with the idea that it would be about my vegan lunches and my faith (Catholicism). I soon realized that I don´t really put that much effort into lunches or being vegan (unlike this blogger) and that I don´t feel all that comfortable talking about my faith. Then I thought it could be about vegan product reviews, kind of like SuperVegan (which I love), but since I am a poor graduate student that doesn´t really buy things that idea didn´t pan out. The more I started following other vegan blogs - like Urban Vegan, The Concious Kitchen, Don´t Get Mad Get Vegan, Eat Air, Squirrel´s Vegan Kitchen, Veganfriendly.com - I realized I was never going to be apart of that type of vegan community. I´m vegan for different reasons, with different priorities - though I still read those blogs daily and am dying to make UV deconstructed monkey bread. So I started blogging about me - what I think, what I do, my insecurities, my triumphs. Not really of any larger community benefit - but it is a subject near and dear to my heart. teehee
But today - today I actually made a meal that I think can be of use on other people´s plates. It all stemmed from Maria (the maid who drinks all my goiaba juice and occasionally dislikes me) making a huge batch of black beans (with no bacon or sausage because there is none in the house). If I don´t eat it - and all of it - I offend her, but I didn´t want another night of beans on top of rice with a side of brocoli. Been there, done that. So I looked up vegan recipes with black beans, online, and found this one. I modified it, slightly, based on the ingredients I had, and I think it is worth posting about.

Black Bean Patties

* 2 1/2 c. of black beans, reserve liquid and 1/2 c beans

*1 onion, finely chopped

*1-3 cloves of garlic, minced (to taste)

* 1 c. bread crumbs, or flour

* salt and pepper to taste

I blended 2 c. of black beans with about 1/2 c. of water (since my beans were made from scratch I didn´t have that nasty can liquid that comes in handy). I then gently mixed in the remaining beans to give the patties more texture then baby food. I sauteed the onions for about 5 minutes, until translucent, and added the garlic for another two minutes. I then added the onion/garlic mixture to the bean mixture. I added about 1/4 c. bread crumbs at a time (which my biological dad provided me in the food packages he often delivers) until the mixture was thick. And then I sauteed - or fried, if you insist. With a side of brocoli it was very good. I just want to add that the patties have a crisp exterior and a oozy inside - so delicious. I don´t understand why it has to be "vegan food" and why it just isn´t good? and p.s. that pan is so old and scratched please don´t even remind me about the dangers of nonstick pans!

Now I still need to figure out how to use that agar agar and shiitake miso......

No comments: