Monday, November 5, 2007

If Cinderella was brasilian....

She wouldn´t have even left her house by the time her coach turned back into a pumpkin in the English version! No Brasilian fairy godmother would set midnight as the ultimate hour of reckoning - she would know better. I say this based on my Saturday night adventures. Let me tell you about an evening that ends at 6am (see proof to the left)....


I´ve met some amazing people, from all over the world. I truly am blessed. Saturday night we decided to head out. One of my favorite friends is Sebastian, he is from Argentina and lives with his boyfriend in a bairro (neighborhood) close to mine. (I´m not going to address the homosexuality issue - I am a practicing Catholic AND I love and accept many friends that are gay; I´ll work that out with God on my own). I said I´d be there at 9:30pm and got there at 10pm - I thought I was late. I wasn´t. They were just putting out appetizers. They thought I wanted to eat (sausage no less) at 10pm. I thought we were heading to the bar at 10pm. Oh - I have lots to learn about the Latin American way. teehee. (I will say once they found out that I am vegan they were horrified they had no food for me....but they had peanuts, and if you know me you know that nuts are one of the best food to have around). By 11:30pm we still hadn´t left and I was offered coffee. I never drink coffee but I knew it was going to be a late night and I had to do something.....so I took it. I drank the coffee, black, with just a little sugar, and......I liked it (see the incriminating substance to the right). I was horrified! I instantly worried about it being a gateway drug or becoming a terrifying habit that would lead to an evil Starbucks addiction. (I haven´t drank any since). But you know what - it did the trick (thank goodness I didn´t try it in college). As a result I was able to dance the night away until almost 5am. FIVE AM. And after we left the dance club my friends wanted to drink more coffee (I refused the liquid poison but went along for the great conversation and ride home). I didn´t get home until 6am, but it was well worth it. I heard fantastic 80´s music - American and Brasilian - and spent time with a group of people that love to dance. All thanks to my cup of cafe. But it got me thinking about the fairytale. I didn´t read much Cinderella growing up - luckily I had a mom that told me my happiness did NOT lie with a "perfect" man "saving" me - but I remember the stroke of midnight bit. They must have modified the hour in translations here.
What else?
*I rode the bus today. Woohoo. And even better, I didn´t get lost. If I decide to take classes again in December I won´t need a taxi. I´m really starting to feel like I´ve found my niche here.
* I´m not sick anymore.
* I and three other friends are going to Porto Seguro for the next holiday. And as of today we have a place to stay! Not a way to get there....yet....but I´m learning to be very flexible and have hope.
*My tattoo is scheduled for tomorrow and I am going to get it. So my next post will probably be a picture. You aren´t supposed to swim or sunbathe afterwards for almost 2 weeks so this gives me a good excuse not to wear my bikini for too long when I´m in Porto Seguro. Teehee. So why go to the beach you ask - well, because I haven´t seen the sun in São Paulo for DAYS (the weather is crazy here), I like the people going, I LOVE warm weather (don´t remind me that I´m moving to Boston....) and there is NOTHING to do in São Paulo during holidays.
* Overall, I´m happy, healthy, and loving life. (though still craving college football and cranberries)

No comments: