Monday, November 12, 2007

Eating well

I downloaded a free trial of photo collage in order to put together this nifty compilation of all the yummy vegan food I´ve been eating lately. My new friend Sebastain from Argentina made me vegan emapanadas. He actually made a variety - most non vegan -but he went out of his way to make sure that the milho (corn) empanadas were vegan. I thought they were very tasty. They weren´t shiny/pretty like the others because he didn´t use an egg wash but they were equally tasty - I´m sure. Then for dessert he served a fruit salad - especially for me, which made it even yummier. The next day my biological father made me some of his famous lasagna. The panko crumbs on top almost look like parmesean cheese and taste great, the filling is some brasilian nut, tofu, mushroom combo (i think). And the next day he bought me some delicious vegan Chinese dumplings that I lightly "sauteed". I love dumplings! Unfortunately I only made three and put the rest in the fridge. The next day they were moldy - I think from the temperature change. Now - if I was Maria (the maid) I would have cooked them. That is her solution to saving moldy food - cooking it. But I didn´t chance it. (ps - don´t blame me for the evil plastic bag underneath the dumplings, they were given to me with that bag - maybe I´ll make a throw pillow out of it)


Last night was my aunt´s fantastic Greek themed birthday party. She generously encouraged me to invite six of my friends and my professor from school. There were about 50 peple there - of which about 30 were family. I ate before I went, but I did make out with some black olives and tomato wedges. The best part was probably the breaking of the plates. Though the dancing and the conversation were equally as entertaining. I said hello to everyone, did my best to be social, bought my aunt a nice gift, complimented the food and festivities AND YET my aunt is mad at me. At about 10:30pm most of the family had left and the last of the cousins were leaving - Slyvia and Vanessa. They live nearby, I didn´t know how much longer my aunt would stay with her friends, so....I asked if I could get a ride home with them. Big mistake! I knew it almost as soon as I asked but I wasn´t sure. Now I am positive. My aunt ignored me this morning, left a note without saying "beijos", and has opened everyone´s gift but mine. Ughh. double ugh. I guess I was supposed to stay until the very end since I live with her. I don´t know. The challenge now is to make her happy without her flipping out on me first (also considered "expressing emotions" here in Brasil). That is a bigger test of my new Brasilian skills then reconciling with the maid! (who continues to drink my goiaba juice like it is a life saving elixir)

I´m headed to Ilha Grande on Wednesday. I refuse to look up the weather forecast - what is the point? I don´t want to know if it is going to rain at the quasi deserted beach area that I am vacationing at - because if it rains......there will be NOTHING to do. (not that laying on the beach, exposing myself to skin cancer, is a whole lot - but you know what I mean)


I keep applying for jobs - nothing to date, but I have time. I thought I had found a great apartment with a cool roomie but the current roomie decided to stick around. I remember in college signing a lease almost a year before moving into a place - I´ve moved long past that type of preplanning. Having 7 apartments in 5 years has equipped me with the abililty to pull the proverbial rabbit out my hat mere days prior to needed move in. Boys still confuse me but I have my hands full with keeping family happy so I´ll just worry about him/them tomorrow.


1 comment:

Bethania said...

Melissa: recibi sua carta postal hoje - com muita alegria - Quero saber si voce tem uma pagina no "facebook" - si voce tive, da mi um "poke" pra Bethann Cottrell-
Cuando e que voce volta para os EEUU? Voce vai pra Boston? Espero que voce podra vim pra Atlanta para nos visitar - Beijos e carinho, sus tia, Bethania