Monday, August 6, 2007

If only I could do downward dog facing south...or something like it

Sometimes I get discouraged. What is my direction? What is my purpose? And I think that is inadvertently apparent in my blog. Do I want to cull articles that highlight positive practices taking place in schools? Do I want to review vegan products? Do I want to urge social justice action? Do I want to post recipes? It changes. I am leaving for Brasil soon (August 31st) and depending on my internet access I may focus on what it means to be a vegan in a "third world country" (sorry mom - she hates it when her country of origin is referred to so disparagingly). There doesn't seem much point in doing that right now since it is being done very well by other bloggers, like: the conscious kitchen, the urban vegan, don't get mad get vegan. So for now bear with me as I flit along in whichever direction the wind takes me for that day.
Recently Pirate Booty was recalled, supposedly several ingredients sourced from China may have caused the outbreak. It amazed me to find out how far removed I could be from what I eat - figuratively and literally. I don't want to buy food with ingredients sourced in China, for ethical and health reasons. But it may just be impossible to avoid - as noted on MSNBC. Eating local is a big movement and potential alternative but unfortunately it is not the silver bullet. An op-ed in the NYTimes articulates the caveat to eating local.
There are no easy answers to the worlds problems. Social justice, environmental conservation, quality of life issues are all incredibly complex issues with incredibly complex 'solutions'. I think the underlying answer is that it is important to remain flexible. Now that I need a lot of practice with!

No comments: