Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Who am I and what is this blog?

Who am I and what is this blog?

By labeling myself vegan there seems to be a certain expectation, one being that I am an animal rights activist. I am not. I am a human rights "activist". By blogging as a vegan there seems to be a certain community standard to take pictures and talk about food. I only do that occassionally, and not very well. Bibliotecaria is portuguese for librarian but my blog in no way resembles the blogs of the library world. I am still in library school I've spent the past year working in an academic library and I can't see my blog ever being in that mold.
So who am I and what is this blog?

When pressed to identify myself I would say the most revealing label would be that of Catholic. That is the foundation that informs all my decisions, and it was my convinction about loving others that led me to veganism. I read a vegan blog earlier today that disparaged an important Catholic ritual called confirmation. I was triggered and saddened to think that people that chose a lifestyle often disparaged by others do the same in turn. It got me thinking about the question I often wrestle with, can I be a devout Catholic, AND a liberal social justice activisit, AND a vegan? I don't know if the answer is yes, but I am trying it out.

By labeling my blog in a way that identifies my Brasilian roots, my library interests, and my food choices (veganbibliotecaria) I think I've limited all the ways in which I view and see the world. I would like my blog to be more then my personal diary online - that seems too ego centric. At the same time I want share my observations and the information that I personally think matters in a larger context. Maybe no one will read this blog, maybe someone will. I am going to live (and blog) for this moment, regardless of the past or future, without restrictions or expectations according to labels and categories.

I am in NYC until August 30th (with a four day vacation in LA) and then I am off to Brasil to volunteer and spend time with family for FOUR months. Who would have thought that transferring library schools - losing 12 credits and a scholarship - and breaking up with the man I wanted to marry would lead to one of the most exciting times of my life?
NYC is amazing. Much more difficult to navigate then DC (my last port of call) or Boston (my future home, post Brasil). Determining what to do and where to go is a much greater challenge here then anywhere else I've ever lived or visited. Once I find a place I love I go back again, and again, and again.....

Currently my two favorites are Life Thyme and Franchia. I prefer Life Thyme baked goods to anything else I've ever had. I've blogged about them before, but I just can't say enough about their cramped space, quick service, and vegan mostly organic baked goods. I walked to their store on 6th ave and 8th st. from E.4oth and Lexington. I love the walk - it is easy to tell I am not a New Yorker because I look up and around in wonder the whole time but I'm not the typical tourist - I avoid 5th ave. like the plague. I had the lemon cake yesterday, a very moist cake with no cloying sweetness. Not quite lemony enough for me but I love lemon in a way most people don't. The $4.50 pricetag was comparable to DC and this is NEW YORK CITY! Sidenote: the almond cookies are superb. I have yet to experience Vegan Treats - but for a healthier sweet tooth satisfier Life Thyme is unbeatable.




I didn't take pictures when I ate at Franchia, mostly because I feel awkward taking pictures of food in public. But I swear by their assorted dumpling dish with a side of miso sauce. Even better then the food is the tea and atmosphere. It's not cheap fast food but it is well worth it.




Let me signoff with the reason why I visit Croydon, Pa as often as possible (I was just there for 4 days):



No comments: