Thursday, August 9, 2007

Pumpkin Oatmeal Vegan Pancakes are so good in my tummy


When I started this blog back in May I used to blog about what I quickly assembled for my lunches but they weren't all that creative or unique. Then, I signed up for RSS Feeds through Bloglines, and I realized how many amazing vegan food blogs exist. I decided not to poorly replicate what is being done well elsewhere. I do love to cook but I often don't have the time or motivation. Right now it is very hot in D.C. - as in much of the U.S. - but humid in a way that is particular to August in this swamp (which is why all the politicans go home), so it's not a good time to use the stove. However, I came home last night determined not to eat out - I'm saving my last dimes to eat at Indique tonight for Restaurant Week. My good ole standby is pumpkin oatmeal vegan pancakes - a VWaV recipe that I've modified. I LOVE pumpkin and make muffins and breads and cookies with the squashy goodness. I braved the stove last night because this is a great recipe for me on several fronts - I love pancakes, for taste and ease of assembly, and it is a great meal to dole out single servings - which is good for a single person.

Here is my recipe (relatively thick batter):
DRY
2 c. flour (I've used whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose)
1/2 c. oatmeal (not instant)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
* I combine all the dry ingredients
* heat skillet at very low heat
WET
1/2 c. pumpkin
2 T canola oil (can use less)
1/3 c. water
1 1/2 soy milk (if using rice milk use LESS - it is more 'liquidy' then soy milk; I personally prefer soy milk for baking and rice milk for drinking)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 T maple syrup (optional - I don't add)
* mix well and add to dry mixture
* do not over mix your pancakes
* plop them onto the griddle/skillet and let 'em cook away. In picture you can see that pancake turns deeper color as it cooks.


This recipe is very forgiving and you can easily modify amounts. I like pancakes that have a very bread like consistency so I like my batter thick. When I spoon it out I have to manually spread it around. Want runnier pancakes - add more liquid. I only make as many pancakes as I am going to eat and save the batter for another day. I only put Earth Balance on mine but like I said, I lack creativity and motivation.

I really am going to write up the hummus story from the Christian Science Monitor. Tomorrow maybe....


No comments: