Monday, October 8, 2007

New Years Resolutions

A little early, I know. But I can´t help it, I´ve had SO much success with keeping track of AND accomplishing my 2007 resolutions that I´m excited to repeat the process. Cooking more is definitely on the list. I keep track of about half a dozen vegan blogs all of which inspire me to wish I cooked more often! In Brasil I have found sweetened condensed soy milk and dulce de leite (from soy milk) that I eat straight out of the can but I´d rather make some type of vegan dessert to make with them. But what? In my defense I have limited options - I don´t have any access to vegan margarine and it took me forever to find baking soda (go figure). I have made brigadeiros twice with good results (Brasilian pseudo truffle). Any other ideas for something with easy to find ingredients and doesn´t take forever?

CLASSES: Today was great. I woke up at 6am, ran for 45 minutes, got ready for class and caught my cab. The amazing generosity of my mom and pops is allowing me to take FOUR weeks of portuguese lessons Monday through Friday. I have the same teacher I had when I was in Maceio (northern beach town in Brasil) almost 4 years ago. He (Dilmo) is great! There are six of us in class - two Germans, two Americans (including me), a Finnish guy, and a guy from Switzerland. I like the whole bunch - everyone is here for varying amounts of time but all seem very open to hanging out. The only downside is that we all live very far apart, but a cab ride here, and a bus ride there will likely overcome the seperation. Woohoo!

ANOTHER HOLIDAY: Friday is Day of the Child AND the celebration of Nossa Senhora Aparecida - the Catholic patroness of Brasil (and maybe my next tattoo....) I don´t have classes or work on Friday or Saturday as a result. The taxi driver (Jacinto - a GREAT guy) told me today that if there are three holiday´s in a month the city empties out. Brasilians work hard - have no doubt - but relaxation is equally a serious business. Is seems like a shame that my ONG (NGO) is doing nothing for Day of the Child, but their overworked/underpaid employees deserve the holiday as much as anyone. Here are some pictures and personality descriptions of the kids I work with - an early tribute to Day of the Child.

Lucia. She is in the 6-7 afternoon class. The others are in the 8-10 afternoon class. Very cute, well behaved, but opinionated. She seems to be friends with everyone but not close to anyone in particular. My only worry is that she is seven and you can already see the pose she is striking....





Daniella. I have a soft spot for Daniella because she took to me immediately. She asks me to buy her shoes,cell phones, or just give her money but she doesn´t seem to mind that I always say no. She puts herself down quite a bit, and others as well.


Taina. She is a very pretty young lady. She has a pretty tough exterior but, as with most of the kids, can amaze me with how loving she can be. I would say she is the bossiest of the group I´ve posted here. There is one girl in her class - Bia - that far exceeds anyone here in toughness and bossiness but she isn´t very friendly so I don´t interact with her much.





Last but definitely not least. Marianhe. She spends most of her time with Daniella. She is quiet, gentle, tender, and PERFECT. For Day of the Child she told me all she wanted was a kiss. Daniella told her that was lame - actually she called it feia (ugly) her favorite derrogatory term. Marianhe told her she was wrong - there is not better gift. She is always has something nice to say and I adore her. She usually doesn´t come to the bookmobile on Saturday´s but was allowed to this past weekend because her older brother accompanied her. He, a teenager of an undistinguished age, twirled (what is the right term?) the jump rope for the girls, set up chairs, and sat quietly watching her without ONE complaint. This mom and or dad have the magic secret.

No comments: