Friday, October 26, 2007

Short and sweet

Not much to report, and no pics to post, sorry! I am about to head off for a nap. Why? Well, I have a party to go to tonight, that gets started around 11pm or 12am and will last until 3 or 4am. Ahhhh....the Brasillian way. Prior to the festivities I am meeting up with some friends to try out an all natural pizzeria that has vegan options. I´m very excited! (about the food and friends).

This past week I have learned lots more about Brasil: CPMF (a ridiculous tax), Projeto Jovem (Lula´s project that is similar to getting a GED), PCB (the Brasilian communist party), obligatory voting, a little about the dictatorship. I definitely feel like I have a much clearer sense of the culture then I ever have before. I´m going to find some actual statistics - to augment the fact that I just ask people their opinions - before I post comments.

Things are slow going with the maid. Yesterday we didn´t talk at all. Today I gave her a box of paçoca (peanut dessert) and a pillow in the shape of a heart that says Brasil. She cooked me lunch in return. Ahhah! I would call that progress.

I feel like I am getting sick again, ugh! It may be allergies, I am not sure. I just started popping claritin, so hopefully that will help. The weather here is CRAZY and I blame it on that, not a weak immune system. teehee. I do feel like each day my portuguese improves. Which is great, but also has some pitfalls. I have to be careful, for example, with my pilates teacher. She has noticed my improved capabilities and has started talking more, BUT the more we talk the fewer exercises I do. As a generalization I would say Brasilians prioritize human interaction. My priority is flexibility, abs, and fitness - people connections are all good when I am not paying for it!

Speaking of paying....I feel like I have to acknowledge my mom and pops one more time. They have financed my schooling and transportation and Brasilian dream GENEROUSLY and without comment. But beyond their unquestioning, unwavering financial support they have provided moral support as well. I talk mostly of friends and boys, but I know for sure I won´t stay in Brasil past January, not because of an exboyfriend that I still love, or a new crush, or school, or a job - but because of them. I can´t live so far from my folks - it is the reason I transferred from University of Miami, FL to MSU, MI my freshman year, it is why I loved moving from California to DC, and it is why Boston is a viable option - it is only a few hours away from them!

No comments: