Sunday, October 21, 2007

what a difference a week makes

Last weekend I was mopey dopey - this weekend I was a busy bee.

I´ve continued to have LOADS of fun with my fellow classmates. The teacher situation has been a bit more precarious though. On Thursday our teacher left in the middle of the class (never to return). I refuse to believe it was our behavior that drove her out, but we were a mite bit talkative. Thursday night her replacement had given us a ton of homework so I didn´t go to Samba Rock dance class - I have high hopes for this coming Thursday though. teehee. I have kept up with the trampoline class and just read that it combats cellulite. Wippee.

Friday morning we the crisis with teachers continued at Fast Forward but once again Dilmo came to the rescue. He is the best teacher I´ve had so far, there is only one left for me to test out. It isn´t that he puts forth SO much effort, he´s been doing this for five years - he has the material down flat. It is more that he is energetic, flexible, and doesn´t make us do every book exercise. We often play games, read interesting stories, and practice talking about our weekend and our interests. It makes class much more enjoyable. There is all of that, and his drawings. He knows English very well but doesn´t give us the definition in English - some people don´t speak English. Instead he acts out or draws the definition. The fact that he can´t really draw makes it all the more fun.


After class I met up with a very cool American, Zoe, who speaks French, Spanish, English and now Portuguese. We went to check into our hostel for the evening. It wasn´t as close or as cool as Pousada Francesa but everything was booked this weekend for Formula 1. It was clean and safe and that was what mattered. We didn´t spend much time there before heading back to downtown São Paulo to locate a bar that had been recommended for happy hour. We didn´t know the name or the exact location but we felt all the more Brasilian because of that. We were in the girls collective room and it didn´t occur to me I would have such a hard time sleeping because of all the snoring, but so it was. But....it was cheap, safe, and close to the metro (which I love!). It was worth while.

Happy hour was so much fun. I really had a fantastic time, and not just because
the caipirinhas were very good/strong. We met up at Choperia Opção near MASP - a very hip museum that is free on Tuesdays. I´ve become friends with Santomi, a Japanesse student that doesn´t speak English, so we must speak Portuguese with eachother. It is so great (before we were only speaking English). Without her as the incentive I don´t think we would be speaking nearly as much Portuguese. The picture on the left is the two German boys came with their Brasilian girlfriends (with whom they speak English - it is all very international) and Zoe. I really liked Chris and his girlfriend Catia - they are wonderful people. Catia taught me not to say muito mais melhor (it is like saying very much better). The picture on the right is of Santomi, Fred the Swede - also known as Felipe, and Zoe (again). Fred isn´t nearly as serious has he looks and all three of them are incredibly....skinny. It struck me as I posted this, but it is true. You can almost see the MASP in the background. After a few hours at happy hour Zoe, Fred, and I headed to a balada (club) to dance but things don´t really get going here until 1am and can last until 5 or 6am and we didn´t have the energy for that. Later that evening I also found out that that my cousin gave birth to her son, two months early. My grandmother has her first grandchild. He is doing well, even though he has to stay in a little incubator. No one can visit him or I would post pics. In a couple weeks I´m sure I´ll have tons.
Yesterday I went to the FABULOUS Ibirapuera park. I want to go everday! In the middle of the city is this beautiful park and planetarium (which I went to for only 5 reais). People were in VERY good shape and I was motivated to work out. I may try to go later today and run.
So I am learning lots and having a wonderful time, thanks to the floral therapy. Teehee, just kidding, but that is part of it I am sure. I´m very focused on making the most of my life here and being grateful for everything I have, even if it doesn´t seem like exactly what I want or a whole lot. Woohoo.

No comments: