Thursday, October 4, 2007

Happy Birthday Elena!

Happy birthday amiga!


ABSENCE EXPLAINED: I´ve been sick. Just a cold, but tiring and brain numbing nonetheless. Plus I haven´t slept well the past two nights. I´ve been having dreams/nightmares about running into my exboyfriend with his new girlfriend. I wake up with an unpleasant knot in my stomach around 3am and have trouble falling back asleep - which doesn´t help the sick thing. But I realized this morning, after some "bate-papo" (chatting) with my fab exroomie Moose and some hard core working out, that if he finds happiness, love, and marriage with someone else it isn´t because something is wrong with me. I´m imperfectly perfect for someone - just not him. Taha!


DR. TIO: An interesting phenomena to being sick in Brasil is that my uncle is a doctor. Wednesday afternoon I woke up (I hadn´t slept the night before) and he had told my aunt to buy me a mountain of medicines and some drops for the left ear that has been bothering me. Immediate medical attention is not something I am used to - I struggle to find a doctor that accepts new patients much less actually make an appointment with them in the U.S. I thought it was just a cold, what´s the big deal? But to be honest - my ear is better and I almost feel great. Woohoo.



MAIL: I got two care packages on Monday. I was so excited. They know who they are - so thanks! The most useful present was the book - The Journeys of Socrates by Dan Millman. I finished the book in the wee hours of one sleepless morning. I felt like some Harry Potter crazed adolescent. It is fiction, which I don´t normally read, but I really enjoyed the book. My pops sent it to me and had previously quoted from it in an email to me, "no matter what comes your way, if you take a rigid position, you experience pain. Never oppose force with force. Instead, absorb it and use it." I´m prone to confrontation and conflict so I found that sentiment particularly profound. Most of all I was moved by the statement "Only by surrendering to God´s will does one find victory in battle and serenity in life." I believe that and I´m working on it.



UPDATE: I start Portuguese classes on Monday at the Amerispan language school in São Paulo. I´ve signed up for Pilates - based on the great experience during my free lesson and I´m learning new words in Portuguese related to the body. I taught my first English class to 6-8 year olds on Tuesday (the only day I´ve volunteered this week). That was a blast - I need to take pictures of them. I fought with my aunt and resolved some concerns - all in Portuguese. I´m so glad I´m here and not somewhere in the States where it is getting colder. Teehee!


An image of some of my favorite foods. Yummm.....

(condensed soymilk, goiaba juice, sesame bars, paçoqua with oats)

No comments: