Friday, December 28, 2007

First Day Back in US of A

Let me begin by saying I forgot my camera cord so I can't upload any pictures. Boohoo.

My first day back in the US, and NYC nonetheless, has been fantastic, thrilling, and tiring. I don't feel sad or lonely....yet. Yesterday when I said my goodbyes I only cried when it came to my grandmother. It was/is so hard to leave her. But for the most part I'm used to saying goodbye (9 apartments in 7 years, over 4 states) and like to be on my own. That has changed a little after Brasil, and I think I may be ready to settle down for just a tad.

First let me tell you that flying out of Brasil was an adventure. I got my two cans of soy condensed milk confiscated at security, had my bag searched as I was entering the plane, and then every single person was "wanded down" entering the plane. WHAT?!? I don't go through that much security in terrorist fearing America, so it was a suprise in beach loving Brasil. Just a warning, don't underestimate security in Brasil. They enforce liquid limits and search you thoroughly.

I arrived at 6am, a little early actually. My 2nd bag was one of the last ones to be unloaded and one of the handles broke on my rolly bag. This is a recurring curse in my life that has happened with other bags, anyway....as a result I had to pay the highway extortion of 3 dollars for a cart to lug my luggage around. I took a cab and the process of reintegration began.

Being in NYC energized me and I was ready to hit the town. I got to my parents apartment in midtown Manhattan by 7:30am. I love this place - from the way it smells to the location. They have lived here under 3 years and it feels like home. I sent some emails, took some calls, opened some AWESOME xmas presents from my parents (between being with family for xmas and the presents I got this has been the best xmas ever). I went to Health Nuts on 2nd avenue - a little deli/vitamin store that I love. I often stock up on essentials there. I bought rice milk for 2.69 there and it sells for 4.99 at Gristedes. Anyway....I decided to start the first day of my vegan diet. I don't think I am fat, I am just fat for me. Meaning - I am carrying more weight then my body needs. So I decided to shop appropriately. I can't cook at my parents place, VERY limited equipment, so I bought premade items. For breakfast I had a plain soy yogurt with 2 tbsps of flax seed, a few slices of cantelope, and a eggless egg salad sandwhich. It was very good! I thought I would hit the streets but ending up falling asleep watching a Dr. Bronner documentary.

When I woke up at 3pm I had 3 phone messages from 3 of my favorite people. I ate lunch - vegan chick patties, a banana, and rice milk (oh how I have missed rice milk). And then I got the M15 bus to go shopping at Mooshoes and Kaight. Here is the funny thing about my reintegration - in Brasil I border on anti-social and unfriendly. Here, by saying please and thankyou, asking questions, and saying hello in the elevator I border on mentally ill. I love NYC but it isn't a very friendly town. Kaight was nice - there was one sales clerk and she was pretty friendly. I did buy one sweater there. Mooshoes across the street, at a new chic location, was a different story. They had 3 sales clerks that talked to eachother about an inflatable bed for a cat and were aloof (at best). I was prepared to buy multiple pairs of shoes but the help was so indifferent I only bought a purse and snowboots. I made a comment at one point about how great the purses are and she just looked at me and walked away. Wow. I felt like a dweeb. The help got me my shoes and rung me up without a wait, but.....there weren't pleasant and only said hi to people they knew. Indifference and attitude is an art here that Brasil has completely stripped away from me, and I don't know that I want it back.

On the way home I couldn't find my metrocard, but I had two dollars for the bus. When I boarded I saw they only took coins so I got back off. I walked a block, rummaging through my purse, and found my metrocard so I ran to catch up to the same bus. I then discovered the card had no money on it - and by this point the bus driver was highly annoyed with me. Luckily I was on Allen Street close to the vegan restaurant Tiengarden. It was early, around 5pm, but I decided to stop in for a snack. The waitress was so nice, and the atmosphere so relaxing, I had a meal WITH dessert (the diet will recommence tomorrow). I ordered the soup of the day - Kale, Potato, Carrot - and a side of pan fried sticky buns with soy mixture. The soup wasn't that flavorful and the buns were a little greasy but I LOVE the place (I ate there when I visited the old Mooshoes location - where the help was equally unhelpful). I ordered the pumpkin pie (I missed out on turkey day) for there and red bean sticky buns to go (I ended up eating one even though I bought them for the next day). The pie had a great texture but lacked something in terms of the seasoning. But who cares - I LOVE Tiengarden. LOVE IT! Being in Brasil taught me that I value how people treat me and I would rather feel warm and welcome with okay food then rushed and ignored with fantastic products.

The SUPER waitress gave me change in coins for 2 dollars and I caught the bus home. Before I did I stopped at the Bluestockings Bookstore, a fair trade cafe and activist center, and bought 4 posters about "People's History". I love NYC. I took the bus most of the way home but got out at 34th and 2nd to stop at a little bar that was playing the MSU football game. We lost. Boohoo. I may be a liberal hippie but I love my church and I love my football. How I speak English and my love of Michigan State sports may just be the most American things about me.

There are only little adjustments that need to be made. I have almost asked questions in portugues several times, I am not quite used to this keyboard yet, and I nearly threw my toilet paper in the trashcan several times. I find that I don't feel so cold and actually think I am cute in a hat, scarf, and gloves. My friends and loved ones continue to warn me about the Boston cold but instead of being annoyed I appreciate their loving concern. Overall I am happy to be here and ready for the next phase in my life. The blog will be pictureless for a while but I will try to do the city of New York justice in the meantime.

No comments: