Sunday, December 2, 2007

Movie Reviews and food + boston update

I´ve watched four movies in the past four days so I thought I would start my post with that. The first three are American, the last is Brasilian. I liked all but one. I use the ratings on rotten tomatoes as a reference point - it isn´t a very sophisticated system but includes a plethora of critics.

Harry Potter e a Ordem da Fênix (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) - 77% on Rotten Tomatoes. Now, I have to admit - I haven´t read a single book in the series. Imagine - me, an aspiring librarian, young adult no less, not having read a SINGLE book in the series. Don´t throw stones, I just don´t have the desire. I don´t know why - maybe because it is SO amazingly popular I just can´t bring myself to jump on the bandwagon. Plus the books are very long and I don´t like reading long books (I´m just digging myself a hole here, heim?) BUT....I love the movies. And I really liked this one. I think the dialogue is sophisticated, the acting is good, and the plot is intriguing. I almost wanted to pick up the first book when I was done watching. Almost.
Os Maiores (The Moguls/The Amateurs) - 17% on Rotten Tomatoes. I absolutely loved this movie. The acting was fantastic, the plot was easy to follow and very entertaining, and the ending was typical Hollywood fluff - but in a very fun way. It addressed feelings of inadequacy, racial stereotypes, and the perfection of imperfection. The ending was very implausible and perhaps saccharine (as one critic griped) but hey, I laughed, smiled, and felt good at the end. AND it wasn´t predictable. I think is is just about the best that Hollywood has to offer. Take that!

Os Donos da Noite (We Own the Night) - 55% on Rotten Tomatoes. How this movie received a higher rating then The Amateurs I will NEVER understand. I thought this movie was horrible. Truly. I wanted to like it. I adore Joaquim Phoenix, and who wouldn´t - he is a vegan and is River´s younger brother (may he rest in peace). Not to mention that he has a great scar and acts well. But really - the movie was the pits. The characters were totatlly lame (Joaquim goes from drug using club manager to bad to the bone cop???), the plot was improbable (the brilliant Russian drug traffickers didn´t realize that Joaquim was related to many cops AND when Joaquim had a bounty on his head he decided to have a meeting at the club where he used to work with those that wanted to kill him - just to name a few), and there were several scenes where you could see the microphones. My cousin assures me because the screen was too large - but it just added to incredible lameness that I wasn´t prone to accept that excuse. Don´t go see it in the theatre, don´t rent it, don´t watch it on tv. It was almost as ridiculously bad as dumb Miami Vice.

Ano em que meus Pais Sairam de Feira (The Year my Parents Went on Vacation) - Not reviewed on Rotten Tomatoes - don´t know why! I loved this movie. It took place in Brasil during the World Cup in 1970. It addressed, very lightly, the issue of the dictatorship (which I think is a topic that requires more thought and reflection in Brasilian society), Jews in São Paulo (something that I´ve never seen addressed), and depicted the absolute soccer madness that Brasil exhibits (and uses to mask real social inequalities and political deficiencies). It was a slow moving, almost simple movie, with no great climax but with some genuinely beautiful moments.

Despite movies, how is life?
-I think I found an apartment in Boston, and the closest Catholic Church offers two masses in Brasilian português. I think it is fate. I am not getting too invested because it has already fallen through once, but I pray it works out.
-I tried to make maracuja mousse with my agar agar. Mousse is nice and rich, with a smooth texture, this stuff came out like a cream based jello. Disgusting. I don´t know if I added too much agar agar or if agar agar is just better for jello. I used sweetened condensed soy milk, soy cream, and maracuja juice. I wish it had been good.
-I keep making brownies, pancakes, and blackbean patties (to which I added leftover brown rice and liked). The next time I make the brownies I will crumble paçoca, the love of my life, and take them to my cousins house for movie night. Hey girlies - if you are reading this - I can´t wait!
-I may have a phone interview with a very cool company in Boston next week. I´m excited.
-I thought I was getting back together with my exboyfriend. But....probably not. I may be changing, but not enough to make that relationship work - I will always want suprises and my requests fulfilled. And anyway, I don´t think that is what he wants. I feel a little sad but feel good about me regardless.

No comments: