Monday, December 31, 2007

NYC wrap-up

I've got just about 50 minutes until I have to try and coerce my unwiedly bags through the front door and out on the street in order to hail a cab to the bus stop. If only I could take a photo of this endeavor. Often times I enjoy being alone (a way in which I am NOT Brasilian) - I go where I want, when I want; I see the movies I like; I eat where I want to eat; I buy the groceries I like; I don't have to worry about awkward lulls in conversation. But mornings like this, with two large suitcases - one with a broken handle, a backback that weights 30 lbs, a shoulder bag, and a purse.....a little help never hurts. Oh well, I'll make it there, red-faced and sweaty, and feel all the more independent for it (solo drive from DC to Boston will fall into this category as well).

I landed in NYC on Friday morning at 6am and have been here for just about 72 hours. In that time I have been the quinessential consumer. I bought a Lara Miller sweater (100% Bamboo, made in Chicago) at Kaight. I bought Toe Warmers "On The Go" snow boots (materials unknown, made in Canada), The 2008 Vegan Guide to NYC, and the Delancey Cleo Ro0s purse (materials and site of fabrication unknown) at Mooshoes. I bought a She-Bible dress (poly/cotton/viscose blend, made in San Fransciso) at Sodafine. **Sidenote - I've heard lots about how hip Williamsburg, Brooklyn is - and it is, a veritable vegan paradise** I also made some purchases at the Whole Foods in Bowery (huge, amazing). I bought Maggies Organic Brown textured tights (100% cotton, made in Peru), derma-e's vegetarian gel moisturizer (my dermatologist told me that cream based moisturizers keep pores open), and a Livity Rip-Tide winter vest that was half off (55% Hemp, 45% P.E.T, made in China)

I also ate, lots. I had a very peaceful diner at TienGarden for $20 with tip. With vegan guide in hand I couldn't resist hitting up more vegan restaurants. I tried out Foodswings (8 pc chicken nuggets, mac-n-cheese, pb chocolate moonpie), Caravan of Dreams (miso soup, salad, and mediterranean brunch), and Liquiteria (white bean and escarole soup, pumpkin spice bread, jumbo tofu dog with mustard). I struggled with what to order at Foodswings and Caravan. I was tempted to order nachos - my unsophisticated palates favorite. I resisted, just to be disappointed. At Foodswings I got greasy nuggets, mac-n-cheese that can't compare to Soul Veg, and a dry moonpie (I did eat all the pb frosting). At Caravans the small house salad that came with the entree was superb (usually I don't like salad but the greens were fresh, the tomatoes tasted good, and the dressing was lemony and crisp). The miso soup was sweet, in an off-putting way (much like the Australian sitting next to me in a REAL rabbit fur vest) and the brunch was okay for a grand total of $23. I revisited Atlas cafe where I specifically asked what peanut butter desserts they had - again, my poor beloved pb was only sold with overbearing chocolate in a brownie form. I couldn't even taste the peanut butter. When will people learn that peanut butter is a magnificent substance all on its own. I ended the night at Liquiteria where all the food was great, and it was my cheapest meal at under $12. I really loved the tofu dog and grainy mustard.

For culture I visited the New York Historical Society Museum. The exhibit on 9/11 was breathtaking. The staff was friendly, the exhibits well organized, the information digestable. I loved it. I also watched Persepolis - a WONDERFULLY animated film about a young girl growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. I thought it was wickedly (Bostonian term) clever and brilliantly illustrated. The grandma's insight into men is priceless. I'll paraphrase...
"You'll meet a lot of jerks that will hurt you. If they do, it is because they are stupid. Forgive them and don't be bitter or resentful as a result". Isn't that genius!?!

NYC was just what I needed. Now I'm ready for a rockin' New Years Eve house crawl and a new Boston life.

3 comments:

Sylvia Angélico said...

Hope you had a HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Yaaay!!

We wish you all the best for 2008!

runswithdog said...

Happy New Year!!

I am with you - NYC absolutely rocks :-) Hope you keep enjoying it and I am sure you will also enjoy Boston.

As an aside, I came across some 100% bamboo yarn and it was soooo wonderful feeling. I would love to make something out of it, just didn't care for the colors they had in stock.

I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures in Boston....

Sylvia Angélico said...

Hello!!!

I'll adjust my magic door to Boston - we'll be arriving in 2 days, just kidding!

How was your New Year's?

Ours was pretty much okay - Van made lots of food and deserts and we drank (very) cheap champagne, hee hee

Oh do you know what? We looked after tia Sô's cats (cause she went to Campos with your parents). We checked on them daily and everything seemed okay. But yesterday, when tia arrived home, she told me they had eaten everything - there was nothing left on their bowls! I think maybe the fireworks scared them into eating like crazy, I don't know. I think it gave a bad impression of me, though...like we didn't care for them properly or something. =/ But it's not like tia's upset or anything.

Oh, and about your friend who adopted the kitty...The older cat is reacting to the new one, which is both normal and expected, since cats are highly territorial. But what she should have done is introduce them to each other slowly. An idea is to keep the new cat in a room during the first days. And then she should rub a piece of cloth all over the new kitty and give it to the old one to smell and then do the opposite -so they get used to each other's smell. When the old cat is relaxed enough to eat having the cloth that smells like the new cat right under his bowl of food, than it´s safe to release the new kitty in the environment.

Oh! And in order to avoid further conflict, it's always recommended that she keeps two litter boxes and two bowls of food and two of water in separate places.

Lotsa hugs!!

P.S. - We just saw "The Namesake" - have you seen this movie? I have a hunch you'll love it!