Saturday, December 22, 2007

I Love Halawa (a.k.a halva)

There is large population of Lebanese descendents (also referred to as Syrio-Lebanese) in Brasil (along with Italian, German, and Japanese). I found this scholarly paper on line if you would like to know more. It is their influence that has made things like kibe and halawa common everyday items here (this is my own unscientific deduction).

I love just about everything with sesame. I´ve always prefered sesame bagels. I love hummus, made with tahini. If that isn´t proof enough (teehee) I have just fallen in love with halawa. Halawa is a sesame and sugar confection. Yummy. I had it for the first time today and am blogging just to try to keep from eating it all. Why more vegan blogs aren´t posting recipes for halawa I´ll never understand (instead many seem to be hooked on some "no chicken with dumpling" recipe from Veganomicon). I did find a recipe but I have yet to try it.

This will be yet another reason why I don´t lose weight (paçoca being the other reason). UGH!!!!

No comments: