Saturday, December 8, 2007

So much to talk about

First off, the mandioca was a disaster. I don´t recommend watching a cooking program in a foreign language and then one week later trying to make the recipe by memory. Especially if you have a swiss cheese memory like me. I brought the cut up mandioca to a boil, in soy milk with some vanilla extract, and then let it simmer. After one hour the mandioca was still hard and the milk had "simmered" away. So then I added more soymilk and put it in the microwave for ten minutes. After which time the mandioca was softer but basically tasted like stringy flavorless potatoes. I put the molasses on top and that didn´t help much. Later I remembered that the chef had removed the stringy, hard center of the mandioca after boiling - a definite must. I am positive the recipe is not a sophisticated, mulit flavored one but whatever he made had to have been better then my results. Yuck! (I´ve included a before pic - the after would make you sick).
Yesterday I took the bus to Vila Madalena - a neighborhood in São Paulo that has many vegetarian and vegan options. I went to Alternativa Casa do Natural on Rua Fradique Coutinho, 910. The moment I walked in I felt at peace(much needed after a long, slow, rainy bus ride and walk there). I just felt at home with the scent of incense, new age background instrumentals, and organic quinoa. I ate lunch there. The food was good, not great, not sophisticated, not pretty, but healthy and tasty. I wrote down the names of what I ate but my dictionary doesn´t provide for a translation things like komatsuná refogada, something sauteed, and arroz integral catito, some kind of whole grain rice (just to mention a few). All but two items at the buffet were vegan, and "all you can eat" was 16 reais (about 10 dollars), a pretty good deal. It was so relaxing to be in a place with people who care about what they put in their body and how animals and humans are treated in the process. I bought a cookbook called Cozinha Vegetariana, by Caroline Bergerot, and I can´t wait to start cooking. There are over 50 bread recipes alone. The title says Vegetariana but as far as I can tell it is vegan. Woohoo. I plan on making a mandioca cake (which has to be better then my prior mandioca fiasco). The recipes are simple, don´t call for much more then fresh veggies, fruits, tofu, and oil.....so lets see.

Today was my last day for Gotas de Flor com Amor. And I forgot my camera. I´m so bitter. I made a collage of some of my favorite (old) photos to post in honor of the occassion. My last day coincided with the annual volunteer party. The 6-7 years olds sung for us, the 12-14 year olds did a cool rap/performance with cups. (Pictures would do so much more justice then I can). I loved the experience of working there and I undoubtedly received so much more then I gave. I don´t leave behind any lasting legacy and I am sure the kids don´t remember a single English word that I taught. But they have left a lasting legacy on my heart. Rose, the librarian, taught me what it means to be committed to a job above and beyond the parameters of a job description. She does so much, for so little. Amparo, the on site boss - second in command, taught me what grace truly means. Her husband recently passed away and she continues to come to work with smiles and sincere concerns for the well being of others. The kids taught me what it means to survive. They open their hearts and easily love every volunteer and worker, no matter how long they spend at Gotas. Most of these kids come from a level of poverty that NO American will ever endure and they smile, play, laugh and love, without reservation. I would be lucky to be more like each and every one of them. I will be truly blessed if God allows me to spend my life, professionally and personally, in devotion to the welfare of others, like them.

UPDATE on Boston:
- I´m excited. For new roomies, cousins, the MSU alum association of Boston, vegans of Boston, etc.
- I had a phone interview on Wednesday. I thought it went well but I just saw that they reposted the position and extended the deadline for application, not a good sign. Thinking back I realize when she asked me about my volunteer experience I wasn´t articulate. Oh well!
- I´m waitlisted for the classes I want to take most. I may end up taking classes from 7:15am to 6:15pm every Saturday. The pain, the torture!

1 comment:

Sylvia Angélico said...

Hey Meli-girl!!
Check out my blog: www.hereinmyhead.blogger.com.br It´s brand-new - Vanessa just created it for me =D

We're going to link your blog to mine pretty soon!!

Lotsa hugs and couve!