Friday, January 4, 2008

Where in the world is Melissa?

Growing up I loved that computer game ~Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego~ and now I feel a little like her. One week ago I was landing on a flight that originated in Sao Paulo, Brasil. I spent three days in New York, caught a bus to Washington DC where I had a fantastic New Years Eve and tried to fit in quality time with as many friends as possible and yesterday I drove up a PACKED minivan to begin my new life in Boston. If you ever drive from DC to Boston here are my tips:

- I made one stop for gas, in New Jersey, and I'm glad it was there. It is mandatory full service (so I didn't have to stand outside) and gas was $2.88 a gallon, compared to $3.25 in NY or CT.

- When you get to the George Washington Bridge take the LOWER route (Local). I took the Upper route (express) and am still bitter about it. All trucks have to take the upper route so the traffic is much more congested (but you don't know that until after you make your choice). And once you select upper there is no switching over, unlike the lower route. If this makes no sense - that is okay - all you have to know is LOWER.

- Carry small bills and coins. I went through 8 tolls ranging from $1.25 to $6.45 for a total of $26.45. I had exact change each time so it went a little quicker. (sidenote - each and every tollbooth worker, in the freezing cold, was incredibly kind....smiling, saying hello, wishing me a great day - it was almost a pleasure to give them my few precious dollars)

- The trip isn't that long, just about 8 hours, so I brought along three sandwhiches I bought at StickyFingers Vegan Bakery ($16.34) and a bag of Tings from the supermarket ($2 - on sale). It was more food then I ate (except the fact that I almost ate a whole bag of Tings for about 800 calories, ugh). Take along food, don't waste money or calories on junk food.

- Watch out in Massachusetts. That is the state that easily had the most state troopers with radar guns just waiting to pounce.



All this travel comes at a cost. I haven't worked for 4 months, I just spent 600 to move my stuff (rental car, gas, tolls, snacks), and I've spent a huge amount of money on clothes and food this past week. I have a job interview today - lets hope I get it. I'm sick (and uninsured for the first time in my life - with any luck the wind chill out there doesn't knock me over and break my leg). And I feel discombulated - I haven't worked out since Monday (I was on such a roll), my new house just isn't my old house, and despite warnings of chilly temps I had no recollection of what 11 degrees actually felt like (it is cold). When I was in DC I didn't feel like I had a place there anymore, but I don't a place here either. No worries, I know this feeling well (3 states in the past 5 years). I adjusted really quickly to DC, I expect the same will happen here.



I plan on keeping busy. Looking for a job (and hopefully getting one) will occupy lots of time. I'm going to join the Boston Vegan Association (I've already linked up on facebook). They seem pretty active - I just wonder if a human rights activist can fit in with animal rights activists. I've already joined the Michigan State Alumni Association and hope to watch the basketball game Saturday night. I need to find a gym. I ran outside during the winter in DC but it must be at least 20 degrees colder here. I couldn't walk across a grocery store parking lot last night, I just don't know if I can run. I will say that I did see several "natives" yesterday with no jackets, hats, gloves, or scarfs - I can only hope that one day I too have lost my ability to feel as well. I saw the ex-boyfriend last night. That is complicated. I just think I don't want a boyfriend, even the old one. There is too much I want to do (including starting up a organic farm based on permaculture with a group of friends in DC). I feel selfish. I don't want to divide my time with a boy. I like feeling that way.



Okay. Off to prepare for the interview and unpack a little. I have really good feelings about 2008 and now that I am in one place I hopefully can start getting a handle on this new year and all my many resolutions.

(this is before, it may take a while before I post an after picture. teehee)

No comments: