Sunday, January 13, 2008

Boston - Jan.14th to 21st....no....17th

Awesome. We (me and the fellow residents of New England) are supposed to get...oh I don't know....up to 10 inches of snow between today and tomorrow. I don't know that I've seen that much snow up close this century. If I am able to open my front door there are some things I'll be looking into this week and some stuff I just think sounds cool.

MONDAY
*Wine Tasting for the Complete Novice (6:30pm)
The Boston Wine School has a 4 class series starting this Monday. I won't be attending because of price, time, and probable lack of vegan/organic wines. BUT....I thought it sounded too cool not to include. Cost - TWO hundred buckaroos. Sidenote - I used to hate wine and then I turned 28 and my vision got worse, my cellulite doubled, and now I like wine. Doesn't seem worth it......

*Eyes on the Prize: 4 Little Girls at Boston Public Library (6pm)
The Boston Public Library (I love libraries) at Copley Square will be showing 4 Little Girls at 6pm. Cost - FREE (because libraries are the best use of your tax dollars ever!). Here is a January calendar of events. Depending on the weather (moan, groan, moan) I may go.

*Madeleine Albright at the JFK Library and Museum (5:30pm)
She will be talking about her new book. I definitely respect the controversy surrounding decisions she did (or didn't) make during her tenure as secretary of state, but regardless - this woman is a powerhouse. Requires registration. Cost - free?

TUESDAY
*Hummus Taste-Off at MIT (12pm)
Ummmm....yeah. Why not? It is open to the public and free.

WEDNESDAY
*Human Rights Watch International Film Festival (16th, 19th, 20th of this week)
A description of the event and each film can be found here. I will probably be dropping in for The Axe in the Attic, Cocalero, and Nanking. I am most interested in Cocalero but it is unlikely I will make it due to work (with any luck), a long lost visiting cousin (woohoo), and house warming party that night. At my house. Cost - ranges from $8-12.

*Third by Wendy Wasserstein (various times)
Third, a play written by Wendy Wasserstein, is playing at the Hungtington Theater. The Boston Globe did a write up on the play - I think it sounds good (my sophisticated analysis reveals my deep understanding and appreciation of the performing arts). Cost - the worst seats imaginable go for $15 and the next price point seems to be $40.

*Coit Observatory at BU - "Public Open Night at the Observatory" (7:30pm)
Depending on the weather (I pray that it isn't still snowing) the observatory at BU is open to the public on Wednesday nights starting at 7:30pm (during the winter). Call 617-353-2630 at about 5:30pm to see if it is still on. I'm all about astronomy (a class that I got a 4.0 in college and yet learned absolutely NOTHING) after going to the Hayden Planetarium. I probably won't go this week since I plan on attending the HRW Film Festival opening. Cost - free?

THURSDAY
*The Winter's Concert (8pm)
Don't forget - the benefit concert for Spare Change will be Thursday night at the Paradise Lounge. The mission statement: "Spare Change and the Homeless Empowerment Project (HEP) is to play a role in ending homelessness in our community by providing income, skill development and self-advocacy opportunities to people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness." My cousin flies in from Atlanta (and hopefully doesn't pass out from hypothermia) but I'll still be going before her arrival. Cost - $10 and WELL worth it.

*Gardner After Hours (5-9pm)
A cool new nationwide museum trend is to stay open late with music and sometimes alcohol. This one occurs the third Thursday of every month. Haven't been to this museum, much less their after hours festivities, but it can't hurt to check it out. Cost - $12 for adults, $5 for students, more if you get tickets to the concert piece as well

-Third (listed above)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay. I've been at this for over 2 hours. It is really a lot of work. (especially since I don't even think anyone that lives in Boston reads my blog or can use it....) If I have time tomorrow I'll try to research some more for weekend events. If you have any ideas or insider tips feel free to pass them along.

No comments: