Tuesday, January 22, 2008

where did it go?

time that is! It has nearly been a week since my last post.
In that time I started a new job, hosted a cousin I haven't seen in probably 15 years, attended my roommates housewarming party, reconnected with another cousin, started reading for a class that starts next Saturday, and did three loads of laundry at the sketchy laundry mat down the block.

FOOD:
I kept food nearly vegan for my cousin (who is vegetarian, and practically my twin in background, humanitarian concerns, and sense of humor). We ate breakfast at Bagel Rising and Veggie Planet. She took pics of the yummy blueberry waffles at VP but alas, I did not. (We, the cousins, discovered that not taking pictures runs in the family). My cousins also loved the Lebanese food at Reef. And I whipped up a batch of chocolate chip muffins from a Cherrybrook mix that were a hit. (the mixes happen to be on sale at Shaw's).

ACTIVITIES:
It was cold. Really, really, really cold. Bitterly so. But my cousin, from Georgia, was a trooper (and an incredibly light packer to boot). Somehow she ended up going to the MFA three of the four days she was here. I am responsible for two trips, once was to see The Axe in the Attic, a truly moving documentary on post-Katrina realities and the filmmakers point of view. The women who sat behind us were big talkers, which I decided to tolerate in the spirit of my Brasilian influences. That only lasted until they started making lunch plans for McDonald's. The second trip, the next day was to use my free museum pass and see the Napoleon exhibit for $8 instead of $23. It was well worth $8, I'm not sure I'd say the same about $23. I took her for a brief stroll around Boston Commons and for a quick look around the Boston Public Library at Copley. But mostly....we just talked. About Cuba, and Brasil, and East Asian languages, and the difference between knitting and crocheting, and family, and boys, and the weather. It was fantastic.

BEST:
-The fact that my cousin took the risk of spending nearly 300 dollars to meet a stranger. To know her is to love her. She has an infectous laugh, she is beautiful, smart, and not at all cynical. I miss her already.
-That my other cousin, who lives in eastern MA, is just as great. And can sing. Woohoo.
-When the three cousins got together we planned an AMAZING trip to the Grand Canyon from August 9th to August 16th. All the cousins are invited, but no matter how many attend I couldn't be more thrilled.
-I also really enjoyed meeting one of my roommates friends who is consider becoming vegan. I really liked showing her cookbooks, hearing her own journey to veganism, reviewing local restaurants, and articulating my own reasons for being vegan. I love being vegan!

1 comment:

Elena said...

Now I know a little about your life. I was wondering what was going on with you. I am glad to hear that you are settling down and finding your niche in Boston! How does Boston compare to Brasil? We're on break until the end of the month but you wouldn't know it since I am busy with so many things.