Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Falling in Love

Love....a racing heart, butterflies in the stomach, an inexplicable smile. I've started to notice that I'm exhibiting some of the symptoms. What is his name you ask? Well, it is a tad more complicated then that.

I feel myself falling in love....

1. BOSTON
My first week here I was regretting my decision. It's cold. SOSOSOSO cold. A MBTA bus driver is just as likely to watch you run to their bus (stopped at a red light) and drive off without opening the doors as they are to ignore your pleas for directions. I was on my fourth interview, to seemingly no avail. The vegan food scene leaves something to be desired. The museums are pathetically few. But then....something happened.....and I've started to fall in love.
I had fun walking through the beautiful newly fallen 6 inches of snow yesterday.
I got the job (and start tomorrow). Woohoo!
The grocery stores here have TONS of vegan options.
I saw people cross country skiing to work. Awesome!
They say warsh. I could listen to that accent all day.


2. LIBRARIES
If you didn't know I moved to Boston to complete my masters in Library Science at Simmons College. I was starting to wonder if that was what I wanted. At Simmons I HAVE to meet with my advisor and fill out an annoying sheet with my plan of study. The only classes I want to take are at Mt. Holyoke - TWO hours away. Every library I've walked into recently seems to be a silent tomb devoid of life. But then....something happened....and I've started to fall in love (all over again).
I signed up for my bright orange BPL (boston public library) card and was reminded of all the amazing services that libraries provide (books, dvds, internet, meeting space, classes).
I picked up a free museum pass to the MFA (museum of fine arts) using my library card.
I read about all the cool programs the main library at Copley Square offers.
I got the reading list for my "Young Adult Literature" class and am excited to read the books.
I didn't have to buy books for class because I checked them out from the library. sweet!

3. COLD WEATHER
This will come as a shock to my friends and family but it is kinda true. Sure, as I walked down the street today tears and snot were streaming down my face it was so cold. I haven't run outside since last Friday (or worked out at all) because I lose feeling in my toes after about 3 minutes. And next week an Artic Front is rolling in. Cold weather from the ARTIC - it gets much colder apparently. That is gonna be cold. But I can't help it....
I look cute in scarves, hats, and gloves.
I like how rosy my cheeks get from the near hypothermia.
I really enjoy walking fast and the weather gives me an excuse.
I adore my black clunky snow boots, despite their ugliness, and now have a reason to wear them constantly.
I have a jacket fetish and now have a legitimate reason to buy them.

I just hope I also fall in love with boys, classes, and work. That remains to be seen.....

1 comment:

Kristen said...

What books are on your YA lit class? I took it this past summer. I really enjoyed most of what I read. This semester I'm in a class that is all computer (and Windows to boot) based. I'll get back to books eventually!