Monday, June 25, 2007

Wii-this one's all about technologieeeeee

Technology: I went to ALA Sunday and Monday (was working Saturday). I went to the ALA Tech Source booth where Jenny Levine handed me the controller to test out the Nintendo Wii. In the world of techie librarians I get the impression she is a pretty big deal. Anywho...I ended up playing tennis. I made it clear that I had never played the Wii before but nether she nor my partner (who I didn't know) didn't seem to think that merited any explanation. Let me tell you - the wii may be easy to use, but it wasn't for me, not the first time, not without explanation. Just prior to that I went to "Using Technology to Market to Young Adults". I found it interesting. I was quite put off by Michael something or other (Stephens) who I think participates in second life just so he can wear tight jeans. He seemed so condescending - like when he devoted a substantial portion of the presentation to showing library signs that say thinks like "Please turn off your cell phone", when one of those slides appeared the audience would ruthlessly alternate between groans of horror and chuckles of disdain. I thought it seemed like an alright sign. He showed the Charlotte-Mecklenburg alternative about Respect and that seemed like an even better sign - until I realized it was shown to demonstrate the horrors of 'traditional' libraries. Here's the thing - what is the point of humiliating libraries (I will say he didn't identify all the libraries)? So many technologies are new and so many of us (unlike Charlotte-Mecklenburg and Hennepin) are struggling with how to accomodate them into our libraries. How about instead of ridiculing us mere nontechie mortals you just present the alternative and the justifications for it? I love technology (though I only lasted 45 seconds at Wii and thoroughly annoyed the partner who reiterated several times I should just swing) but I never thought about not putting out a 'no cell phone' sign. Now I am thinking about it, but have been slightly alienated in the process. I did think the indie librarian (Kimberly Bolan) was great - she covered marketing, technologies, and realistic applications without condescension, righteousness, or self-promotion (apparently his YouTube staff clip is just amazing). He did give some great information, I just guess the format and delivery wasn't my style. And I still want to buy a Wii. So there!
Overall I thought the program on reentry services for inmates and cultural compotency were the most interesting. I wish I had attended the program on Darfur. Hopefully there won't need to be a program on that topic next year....

2 comments:

Zenaida said...

I enjoyed your comments about what you observed at ALA. I am getting ready to leave the N/B Lib in a few minutes to check out the exhibits. I will make sure to stop by the ALA Tech Source booth and say hello to Ms. Levine for you...;-)

I will post my observations of some of the exhibits soon.

Cheers,
Zenaida

Jonathan said...

Perhaps I don't spend enough time in public libraries but I don't see what the big deal is about those cell phone signs. So long as there are places within the library where noise is okay, our students still expect quiet areas for study!

So, want to split the cost of a Wii? We could do a timeshare... I also hear that Guitar Hero III will be available for Wii... oh man I want one so bad I can taste it. I tried out the Zelda game at a Gamestop store, I used the controllers as a fishing pole in one scene, and a sword and shield in another. Awesome!