Sunday, July 8, 2007

Have so much to say!



Everyday I think of things I want to post on my blog - I just need to translate those thoughts into action.
On Wednesday - the 4th - I went to Whole Foods and saw my Tofurky sausages for $3.99 and then today I saw a comment on my blog that they are at Trader Joe's for $2.99. How dare Giant and YES Organic totally rip me off! Many people complain about the expense of Whole Food's but honestly, for the products I buy they are more affordable. Anyway, I am just happy for the good news - cheap Tofurky makes this vegan think vantastic thoughts. Prior to buying them cheaply I bought the overpriced sausages in preparation for grilling on the 4th. I bought ciabatta bread to act as rolls, not much nutritional value but not high fructose corn syrup. Yipee! I drizzled some olive oil and balsamic vinegar on the toasted rolls and sliced up the Tofurky to go on top. I served myself that with some steamed brocoli with a mustard sauce (mustard, chopped garlic, and more olive oil) along with some yummy pumpkin oatmeal cookies from PPK. Those cookies were a huge hit at the BBQ, one guy ate over 5 before learning they were vegan and had the courage to admit he liked them but wouldn't have eaten them had he know they were vegan. We had a few casualities, they were overrun by ants but I did manage to take a picture that I will upload later.....
I also made homemade cashew butter this past week. Did I already talk about that? It was amazing!
I've been in Boston this weekend. I went to Grasshopper yesterday. I so wanted to like it. Really, I want to like all establishments that promote foods I can eat and a lifestyle I believe in. I just didn't though. I thought the assorted appetizer for $8.50 was pretty darn good. But 75% of it was fried, of course it was going to be good. My boyfriend - the carnivore (some call their partners omni's but my man loves meat so much that doesn't do him justice) - has dramatically increased his willingness to experiment and loved the appetizer. The "pork" on his entree (#41)was disgusting, in looks and taste. My seitan with american broccoli (#60) was enough for thre people, incredibly generous portions. I just didn't like the texture or the taste of their seitan, which I usually love. What I really loved was the sweet service, the tasty water, and the phenomenally vantastic "peanut" sauce. It was brown heaven, I don't know what relation it has to peanuts but it was so good. Does anyone know how to make that sauce? I was afraid to try the cheesecake after the entrees. Maybe next time...


On the way home (a little out of our way) I dragged carnivore to the My Thai cafe and Bubble Tea Bistro on Harvard St. to grab vegan dessert. I've eaten there MANY times so knew that the $5 lemon poppyseed cake with lemon creamcheese frosting is VANTASTIc. The styrofoam is evil though. I have a picture of that soon to come as well. That is far and away my favorite restaurant in Beantown so far. (I found TJ's disappointing because of styrofoam and the fake cheese, but to be fair I HATE fake cheese; and Original Buddha's Delight has the same fake meat problem as Grasshopper). I'm off to eat homemade sweetpotato fries and grilled prepackaged vegan burgers (courtesty of carnivore).

Sidenote: Transformers rocked! Long live autobots

No comments: