Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Mediocre meatballs

Vkay - I realized there are things/products that are neither vantastic nor vugly. So I have a new category: vkay. Washington Deli qualifies for vkay. I really appreciate a business, a deli nonetheless, that makes an effort to cater to vegans and vegetarians. I went on Saturday and ordered the vegan meatball 'parm' hero. WITHOUT soy cheese, because I don't trust that it's vegan and because it tastes nasty. He put the soy cheese on anyway and the meatballs were flavorless, and that's being generous. He did offer to make me another one, but since I am not vegan for medical reasons but by choice I didn't want to waste the food, labor, and electricity to make another one. And I got a fifty cent discount on the price. I won't go again anytime soon but I wouldn't avoid it either.

One note of caution - I don't verify whether products are vegan or not. If it says it is vegan I will usually take them at their word. My basic question is "does it have eggs or dairy?" Otherwise I am not very hardcore. So if the purity of your product or food really matters to you then do your own additional research.

One note of concern - I went to Java Green yesterday after writing my post. They still had no Sweet -n- Natural goodies. If they stop carrying those products my esteem for them will be highly reduced.

No comments: