Thursday, July 26, 2007

A vegan fight against farm subsidies

I get that question a LOT and the answer is intimately personal and constantly evolving.
I am a vegan for my health.
I am a vegan because I think it is more important to feed people than cattle.
I am a vegan because I think it is better for the environment.
I am a vegan because I think animals should be treated in a humane way.
And I have stumbled upon an issue that directly incorporates nearly every aspect of why I am a vegan: FARM SUBSIDIES.
I have mad love for the farmer that works the earth and creates nutritious food that ensures my survival (especially since I hate gardening, much less farming). I don't have any respect or desire to pay for large agribusinesses that make a profit by making us fat, mistreating animals, and compromising the land they occupy.
Here's the article that got me revved up this morning by Michael Pollan (omnivore's dilemma).
Write your representative and let him/her know that this matters. Fight the lobbyists. Let politicians know that our health and our planet matter more then the money that lines their coffers! (Lobbyists spent about 91 million in 2006)

No comments: