Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Where is the butter?

I became a vegetarian at 15, for vague reasons. Over the years I have often fielded the question "why are you a vegetarian"? Given ample practice I was able to really develop a response that reflected my burgeoning ideology. I was never a vegetarian for animal rights reasons. I think animals should be treated humanely, but my priority is human welfare and environmental integrity. Slowly, but surely, I came to understand that veganism was more closely aligned with my political and moral beliefs. Bummer! I never thought I would be able to do it. Then I read The Great American Detox Diet and thought I would give it a try for a few weeks. That was in April of 2006. While I have undoubtedly, inadvertently and out of respect, consumed dairy and eggs since then I strive to be a pretty strigent vegan - though I have mixed feelings about honey which when sourced locally is a much better alternative to sugar. I really thought I would miss cheese the most, but I hardly do at all. I found early on that it was butter that I missed - and I didn't even eat that much. Since finding Earth Balance I eat much more then I did as a vegetarian. But it is so good. Earth Balance vegan spread is VANTASTIC. Most vegan baking recipes call for it. I make cinnamon-sugar pita chips with it. I often just toast some bread and slather good ole fashioned jam and "butter" all over it. I have even converted my carnivorve boyfriend and dad. The stuff tastes good! And even has vitamin E to boot.
Sidenote - does anyone own the Damn Tasty! Vegan Baking Guide? I am thinking about purchasing it for my voracious sweet tooth

No comments: