Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The vantastic, the vugly, and the yummy

I read today at vegan.com - reported via SFGate - that Veggie Booty and SuperTings were tainted with salmonella as a result of a seasoning ingredient possibly purchased from China. This is VUGLY for so many reasons. I realize that China is a convenient scapegoat right now, but it does bring to light the fact that prepackaged foods come from far distances and unsavory locations. I do my best to avoid purchasing Chinese products and I had no idea ingredients in Veggie Booty came from Chian. Mostly because I worry about their human rights abuses but I also feel Chinese financial support enables genocide in Darfur. I need to stop eating snacks, regardless of their vegan status, and just cook my own food. Prepackaged snacks are just so convenient.....
To that end - the urban vegan makes it easier. She compiled a list of 101 quasi 10 minute easy meals. What a genius! I find that so many vegan bloggers don't post recipes or give really valuable information - in the hopes of or in anticipation of publishing a book. Way to buck the trend urban vegan and work your tail off to create a list of authentically easy meal ideas! Vantastic!
Restaurant Review - By and by I ate at Shawarma King in Brookline, Ma on Saturday night. Yummy! I thought their tabbouleh - with so much less bulgar then I have the nerve to use - was the best on my ridiculously large combo plate. Prices are a little more then posted in the review (from 10 years ago) but still reasonable. Sidenote - the picture is not from Shawarma King but a pretty fair resemblance. And carnivore prepared a great meal for me yesterday that I'll be posting soon....

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

I really love that you just say "carnivore" now. That always makes me laugh!

urban vegan said...

Aw...thanks for your kind words. I'm just here to help.